Well, the training program is going pretty well. Although, I was really worried when I had to go in for surgery to have my gall bladder removed (that's just a whole other story), that it would be hard to train in time. I did nothing for a whole week following the surgery, and then the next week, I wasn't allowed to do any exercise but walk.
And I was worried, knowing myself, that I would use it as an easy excuse (i.e. "oh, I can't run that far...I just had surgery on my stomach.") Great.
BUT...I just moved my schedule down one week, and figured I'd jump a week to make up for the 2 weeks loss. Yesterday, I was supposed to run the 3-miler. And I totally did.
It felt great. I ran it in 36 minutes, which isn't too bad for a non-runner. A 12 minute mile? I'll take it.
The hard part is because of skipping a week, not running, etc., next Monday is already 4 miles. !!!!!
The other great update besides the fact that I feel so great after I finish each workout, is that I'm definitely losing weight. More importantly, I just feel better--healthier.
The last great update is a list of new participants in the Amazing Parowan 10K:
Jenny
Michael
Kaycee
Becky
Buddy
Julie
And Randy will man our water/banana table halfway (someone's gotta do it!). The rest will be our cheering squad at the finish line (aka Grandma's house). I'm going to start the T-shirt designs this week. Everyone has to pick what nickname they want across the back of the shirt and let me know.
Here are the basics of the training schedule, for any of you outside the family that are interested:
(This week is Week 5)
Week 5:
[Sun Off]
Mon: Run 3 miles (after warm-up, run 5 minutes, walk 1 minute--this helps with energy and recovery)
Tues: walk 20 min, cross train ~30-40 min [should be able to do 10 push-ups, 3 sets of 10 sit-ups]
Wed: Run 30 minutes (run 5, walk 1)
Thurs: walk 20 min, XT, push ups and sit ups
Fri: Run 30 minutes (run 5, walk 1)
Sat: walk and XT, 10 Push-ups, 3 sets of 10 sit-ups
[Week 6]
Mon: Run 4 miles (run 5, walk 1)
Tues: walk 20 min, XT, 12 push-ups, 3 sets of 10 sit-ups
Wed: Run 35 min (run 5, walk 1)
Thurs: walk 20 min, XT, 12 push-ups, 3 sets of 10 sit-ups
Fri: Run 35 min (run 5, walk 1)
Sat: walk and XT, 12 push-ups, 3 sets of 10 sit-ups
[Week 7]
Mon: Run 4 miles or 5K
Tues: walk + XT, 13 push-ups, 3 sets of 10 sit-ups
Wed: Run 35 min
Thurs: walk + XT, 13 push-ups, 3 sets of 10 sit-ups
Fri: Run 35 min
Sat: walk + XT, 13 push-ups, 3 sets of 10 sit-ups
Anyways, you get the gist. If you want to see where the training schedule/ideas came from, go look here (Jeff Galloway).
The Cross-training days are tough--we've really been working the different body parts hard. I have a really great book that I've put together of the best workouts for 30-40 minutes that raise your metabolism and really get your body in shape.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Sounds like an awesome goal. I highly recommend aiming for fitness (running a 10K, increasing endurance, improving muscle strength, etc.) over reaching a weight or size goal. Its a lot more fun and most people are never satisfied even after progress toward the weight or size they want. Keep it up! I want to hear all about the race results.
Post a Comment