11 things that happened in 2008 [I don't have to make a list of 10. It's the Hulet way]1. Lost my job working at a commercial real estate firm
2. Michael joined (and then became president of) a youth a capella group that was started by his brother Ian as his eagle scout project. They won their first big competition, and are getting ready for many more competitions in 2009.
3. Michael and I (along with my fam) ran a 10K
4. I ran a second 10K with my coworker (who spent the majority of the time training with me)
5. Visited my awesome family and grandma in Parowan in August.. found out my brother was pregnant with twin girls!
6. Got to go home for Christmas and spend an amazing week with my entire family.
7. Started Power 90, Michael has lost 20 pounds (and gained nice muscles) and I have lost 25 pounds! We're started Power 90 over again now that we are getting ready to start the Resolutionary Challenge.... it is a great time to be fit and healthy!
8. We had snow in Seattle and spent two wonderful days walking around with no cars, extremely friendly people, and then we found an old post office plastic bin and we went sledding down a crazy steep hill down by pike place market. If you can picture me, barely peeking over, screaming my head off (probably waking everyone up.. it was sunday morning and church was canceled :) and then reaching the end, where we promptly flip and michael lands on top of me. We stood up to the sound of laughter and applause. what a great weekend
9. Michael became the 2nd counselor in the bishopric
10. I got an amazing job with an awesome architecture firm
11. Due to major layoffs in both the construction and architecture industry in general, Michael got laid off (yesterday)
So, much to say, Michael and I have been doing a lot of reflecting with what we want in 2009. I have to say that it was a complete shock (to both of us... and his supervisors) when he was laid off. He worked for a large company and they laid off about 30 other people, after having laid off about 20 last month.
It's a tough time in our economy right now, but you never really feel it until it happens to you. You feel sad for other people and wish everyone the best, but until you know someone it affects, it's easy to be separated from what's going on. Well, not anymore... we're there! The interesting thing is, it was really hard when I was laid off from my job almost a year ago. Now that I look back at it, though, it's one of the absolute best things that could have happened. I can sympathize with Mike, I got an amazing job with a firm I love, I work with wonderful people that have changed my life, and they've let me know my job is very secure :)
So... looking forward! Our goals and plans for the new year:
2009
1. Find another job for Michael or go back to school... who knows? but it will be something different :)
2. Welcome Michael's brother home from his mission in Argentina on March 20.
3. Go on a cruise with his family as Steven's (see above) welcome home present. (we're so excited... we weren't going to be able to go, but the family has decided to drive down there and donate the money for flights to help us go.. they're pretty amazing)
4. Jen's weight loss goal: I'm at 152 pounds (my lowest in a long long time) and plan to reach 140. Or at least a size of pants I'm happy with... i know it's not all about weight.
5. Michael's muscle gain goal: gain abs and arm muscles because your wife loves them (I swear..those are his words..you can ask him) ha ha
6. Win the resolutionary challenge! Watch out everyone who's competing with us... now that Michael's out of a job, we're going to start like 20 resolutionary groups and use the money we win as our new source of income. think we won't win? Bring it!
7. Go to the temple at least once a month (the scriptures thing and journal thing are covered in the resolutionary challenge)
8. Move to a new place. Or a smaller place. Or a larger place. We're not quite sure what our future brings.
9. Buy a crystal ball. Or start following rainbows until we catch a leprechaun and get that pot of gold. It could happen. Plus, we live in Seattle. Rain, then sun, then rain, then sun. We've got lots of chances here.
10. Cherish every day we have with each other. And not just Michael and I. Although I must say that he's my absolute favorite person in the world and I feel so so lucky to be married to him. Every day, I look at him, and I think "man... how did I get so lucky?" We are so silly together and we laugh and goof off and do funny, weird things together. My personal new years resolution is to not get mad about the small stuff because it's just not worth it.
(you know, small stuff like he leaves his socks wherever he takes them off. Or takes a shower and then drops the towel wherever he is in the house when he's dried off. or opens the bread and leaves it open and they get hard) You know, stuff like that. I'm so past telling him to change that. Starting now. Or tomorrow. I just picked up a lot of socks today.
11. Lastly, I got a fantastic new point and shoot camera and I have a goal to take lots of pictures of Michael and I (something we don't have...). It also takes video and I'm going to take tons of those and post them all the time. I'll do it, don't doubt me.
All in all, I think 2009 is looking great! A new year with lots of new challenges and changes and adventures. One thing is for sure, though.
We are surrounded by the BEST family and friends we could ever ask for. That already makes us luckier than most.
5 comments:
what happened to our "everybody home" Christmas - it got left off of your 2008 list. Sad.
sorry to hear about Michael's job. You two are some of the most amazing people we know and I'm sure you all will make this a great opportunity. Love the sledding pic too :o)
Bummer about Michael's job. But it sounds like you have a great attitude. And the "back to school" thing is working for us. :) Post more pictures. I love seeing you.
what? Kent's pregnant? He didn't even have a belly at Christmastime... ;)
hahaha~i was just going to comment about your brother being pregnant. too bad that guy who had a sex change beat him to the "First Man to Have a Baby"
But wait~your brother is the "First Man who hasn't had a sex change to have a baby" He's still in luck!
Post a Comment