Monday, August 1, 2011

Service

My mom sent this quote in an email to my brother, who is serving his mission in England right now. It rang so true to me, I thought I would share it here as well:

Often, the answer to our prayer does not come while we’re on our knees but while we’re on our feet serving the Lord and serving those around us. Selfless acts of service and consecration refine our spirits, remove the scales from our spiritual eyes, and open the windows of heaven. By becoming the answer to someone’s prayer, we often find the answer to our own.

- Dieter F. Uchtdorf -

 p.s. yes, I know that grass (wheat?) has nothing to do with service. Unless you pretend that they are weeds and that your dad made you pull them every Saturday during the summer. And that may or may not be a true story about how I grew up. And it may or may not be considered service if it's a chore your dad gives you. So pretend that they're someone elses weed. And that no one is making you pull them. You decided to do it on your own.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

pulling those weeds was definitely service :) I don't remember having to do it that often--benefit of being one of the younger three, I guess :)

Momma H. said...

Dad never "made" anyone pull weeds. He would say he was heading out to the garden or just go out there and the more compassionate Hulets would go help -- or might get sent out by the Mom :)
Thanks for requoting my quote -- it was a good one, wasn't it!