Friday, March 21, 2008

New job?

Two weeks ago, I lost my job.

It's been a tough market for real estate and my team hadn't sold anything in 3 months. My job was the most expendable, and was eliminated.

I decided to take my time looking for a new one, and was grateful that because I was let go, I could go on unemployment and take my time while being paid. I've been reading books, watching TV, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc. All the great things you can do when you have no job. Except having kids. I didn't do that... sorry mom(s).

So, just this week, I started sending out resumes and applying to around 3-4 jobs a day, assuming that maybe in a month or so, I'd have a new job.

The timeline is as follows:

Thursday:
interview at "business careers" with Debbie. (in case anyone was wondering, my typing test was 103 words per minute--a girl left the office crying because she wasn't as fast as I was and was going to go home to practice. Well, not really. It had happened the day before---it should have happened to anyone sitting next to me, though.)

Friday:
11:00 interview at an Architecture firm two blocks from our house for a Marketing Coordinator position.
1:00 follow up meeting with Debbie at business careers who told me that they loved me
3:00 phone call from Debbie telling me that my reference from my previous job was "phenomenal" and upon hearing that, the architecture firm gave me an offer.

I guess I should've been careful what I wished for and waited before I started submitting resumes. They want me to start. On Monday.

The ongoing joke in my family is that I basically get an offer at every interview at the interview or at least the day of the interview. I'll tell you the key. Wear the same outfit for every interview you do. And brush your teeth. I've done that every single time, and I get a job offer every time.

No comments: