My first job as a freshman at BYU was working at the front desk of the Student Employment Office on campus.
One of my job duties was to administer different tests to students looking for jobs. Students were tested on how fast they could type, how well they knew different programs, and data entry tests to name a few. One test in particular provided interesting results--either students aced it or they did really poorly. Not one to judge, I would usually just record their scores on a piece of paper for them, hand them over, and send them on their way.
One day, however, a student had more questions after seeing his results. For the filing test, you are given 30 different names listed in a random order that you are required to put in order as if you were physically filing them. To reiterate--all you have to do is put them in alphabetical order by last name.
On this particular day, there was a line of people waiting for their scores. At the front of the line, a student turned over his test book and requested his scores for the typing and filing test. Out of 30 names, this student had gotten maybe 6 of them correct. After I gave him his test scores, he said "That filing test was really hard--do you have any idea what I can do to get better? Classes I can take?"
Without thinking, I looked up at him and said "Sure...you can go back to kindergarten and learn your ABC's."

His face turned a little red and I could literally hear one of my coworkers stop breathing at that moment as she waited for me to pull my foot out of my mouth.
I looked at him and stuttered out "Um...I'm...I'm sure there's some type of class you can take." Without waiting to hear what type of class, fearing something else rude might come out of my mouth, he grabbed his things and left.
As if the situation wasn't already bad enough, the next girl in line, who had obviously heard my "kindergarten" retort (who hadn't?) asked for her scores, and wouldn't you know, she had a 9 out of 30 for the filing test. Muttering something about how hard filing tests actually are, she left the office.
To this day, if anyone wants to tell a funny story, the "kindergarten" or "abc" story always comes up. It even made it on my wedding video.
*photo courtesy of A Little Sussy
1 comment:
Jen, that is hilarious. I actually took that same test and didn't do nearly as bad. I don't know if I missed any. He must of not understood the directions or something. Poor guy. :)
Post a Comment