Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Summer Weight Loss/Workout Goals

Mike and I both decided last week that we needed to lose weight and shape up. I've been wanting to do it for awhile now, but I could just never get motivated enough to keep working out and eating right.

I'm pretty good at keeping goals if I have the right motivation. When I was trying out for Provo's Police force (I know, I know, everyone hates them. You wouldn't have hated me, though), I trained so hard to even run a mile and a half. My motivation? Not being publicly humiliated at the tryouts.

What kind of motivation could be as good as that? Michael refuses to be my personal motivator because when I come up with the idea of him doing it, it sounds really good, but in reality, when he says things like "aren't you going to go workout?", the way I hear it is "you are so lazy, can't you stop watching TV long enough to lose some weight?" And so, of course, I just get mad.

The motivation THIS summer, which Michael came up with, and it's so embarrassing, almost too embarrassing to even write that it may happen, is that we take a picture of me in a bikini, and if I don't try my hardest to reach my goals, it gets posted on this blog.

Like I said.... public humiliation. It seems to be my best motivator.

A few weeks ago, because of my serious addiction to candy, we made the goal to not eat any. At all. We actually said that we could on the weekends, but I'm the addictive type that just needs to stay far away. I'm so proud. Today marks 3 weeks -- no candy!

That may be nothing to some of you, but to me, it's huge. Just ask my family.

So, the goal? I am trying to reach 150 pounds by August 21st. That's not small. Apparently all this candy eating has caused me to unknowingly gained weight. And I'm not ashamed (well, obviously I am, or I wouldn't be trying to lose it), but I just weighed myself on my new scale from Bed, Bath, and Beyond, and I currently weigh 176.

Wow. That freaked me out. I thought I was always around 165, or something. Wow.

So, here's the plan if there are any of you out there that would like to try this with me. Michael is, and so are a few of the Kelly clan. Hulets?

No food after 8pm
Must drink 8 glasses of water a day
Eat 1200-1400 calories/day
Walk for 40 minutes during my lunch break
3 cardio, 3 strength training a week. Sunday, off
No Candy---in general, food should be low in sugar and low in fat
Well-rounded meals; lots of fruits and vegetables

So, those are the basic rules. As far as the workout rules go, the cardio training that Michael and I are doing are getting ready for a 10K that we're going to compete in with KC. How many participants in this fabulous race? Three. Jen, Michael, and KC.

Will we have our own T-shirts? Yes. Water breaks? Michael said Julie will be stationed half way. Great scenery? Come on! It's parowan! Will Jen get lost on the run? Probably.

We plan to run on August 23rd, hence my D-Day of August 21st. I am going to lose the weight, I am going to follow my amazing running plan, and I am going to finish a 10K with energy to go.

I will continue to document my efforts. I don't have much time to lose A LOT of weight and tone up. I started yesterday.

Maybe next time, I'll post my workout plan for the next three months. It's amazing. The running plan comes from the great Jeff Galloway. It's a plan that helps you run without injury or maxing your body out. You can run 10K (or 1/2 marathon which no one wanted to do with me) and finish strong with energy. It's a tricky "run 5 minutes, walk 1 minute."

Anyways, this is the most words I've ever posted in a blog. Can you tell I'm excited? Is there any way that I'm going to face public humiliation by having a picture posted of me on this blog for all my favorite friends and family to see?

No.

Join with me! Summer weight loss!

2 comments:

Claudia said...

I guess we are all on a weight loss kick! I've been working with a trainer for the last few weeks and am determined to get toned and healthy. I am loving the gym right now as I usually do, my problem is FOOD! Good luck to us all :o)

Liz said...

Hey Jenny-girl! Getting in shape can't be a bad thing. Just remember to keep it healthy (body AND mind). I won't give you any unsolicited advice, but I'm happy to offer tidbits of info if you want them.

PS. We started a blog, did you get my invite email? By the way, this is Liz.